Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Idiot Confession

I constantly feel like I should preface things by saying, "So, I'm an idiot."

Because, as The Librarian will attest and tell me, I have this tendency to do things that I shouldn't do because they are not good for me. I think we all do sometimes - we all have our vices, as they say. Mine just happen to be running related.

I was getting sick Friday and when I woke up Saturday morning I knew I had a fever.

I still went running. Because I'm an idiot.

And it was a great run, according to the numbers. 10 miles, 7:30 pace. You can't really argue with that. I might have felt like crap the whole time, but to be honest I felt less like crap while I was running than I did before and after running. Lately I've been finding that the crappier I feel, the faster I can make myself go. Like when my legs are tired, if I push them just a little bit harder, I'll stop feeling the tired. I can count the number of times I've run at a 7:30 pace on one hand, and I had a fever yesterday morning.

Like I told The Superhuman the other day, "Running slow or feeling like crap, I can do forever. It's running fast and feeling great that I have to work on." Maybe one day I'll have a superfast run and feel great the whole time. Won't that be awesome?

So then after I finished running, and ate breakfast with the guys (I was the only girl at group this morning), feeling more than slightly nauseous the whole time due to drinking an Emergen-C on an empty stomach, what did I do?

I drove two hours to Raleigh for a job. Because - say it with me now - I'm an idiot.

But I was an idiot on DayQuil, and that makes all the difference in the world. That stuff is kind of scary, now that I think about it. But I at least remember the whole night, and I didn't do anything too bad. When Mama Bear Boss told me I could go home a few minutes early, and I did, I felt bad about it, but at that point I was seriously tired and all too aware that I had to drive two hours back home, in a car without cruise control or adjustable seats (long story).

I actually feel much better today. Hopefully all of the Vitamin C, zinc, and mysterious-properties-of-DayQuil bashed all the germs into submission. My mom told me about these when I called her yesterday, and they really saved me. Stopped the cough and horrendous sore throat in it's tracks. There were times when I wasn't sure I had a throat at all; they're that good.

Speaking of, Mother's Day is today, I know. But my mom is working a double at the restaurant today, so we're celebrating tomorrow, hopefully, which is why you'll have to wait for tomorrow for a saccharine post about how much I love my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment