Monday, February 14, 2011

Cereal is awesome.

  • Most credit the idea of ready-to-eat breakfast cereal to Doctor John Harvey Kellogg, who fed baked wheat flakes to the inmates of his sanitarium in 1877 after accidentally letting a batch of wheat cereal soak too long and grow stale, but it was his brother, Will Keith Kellogg, who replicated the process with corn flour and marketed the process. The first Kellogg's Corn Flakes were sold in 1907.
  • The first boxed cereal was called Wheatena, sold in 1879. You can still buy it today.
  • Another first still available is Kix - Kid tested, Mother approved - which was the first puffed cereal.
  • The low point of cereal was in 1953, with the sale of Sugar Smacks, which were 56% sugar by volume.
  • I never put milk of any kind on cereal because I like the crunch. The Librarian has threatened to break up with me over dry Corn Flakes while we're trying to watch a movie.
  • I like eating breakfast in the cafeteria, because then I can mix my Apple Jacks with my Corn Flakes. I'm a heathen like that.
  • What I'm really trying to say here is:

No comments:

Post a Comment