Monday, June 20, 2011

SOMEONE got a Wilson Phillips song stuck in my head.

Got up and rode 25 miles this morning. I'm trying not to get too down about the fact that I can't run, so I'm coming up with a list of reasons why biking is more fun than running. Here's what I've got:

1. I can eat breakfast and drink coffee and then immediately go biking without major stomach issues.

2. I can carry stuff with me. Like my wallet and my cell phone, and a bottle of water so I don't have to hunt down public water fountains mid-run.

3. I can wear regular clothes - well, regular enough to bike straight to class or to a restaurant. I can also carry a change of clothes if need be (see #2).

4. ...

Well, I'm working on it. Biking is a lot of fun, but it's just not as satisfying as running. It feels like something fun to do on the side instead of something I can focus my energies on and accomplish. I think I'll always bike, even once I'm running again, because it's fun and good for me and intellectually I know that, but running is... running. It's really great to have biking as a back-up in case of injuries like this, though.

Life is hard when you have a Better'N Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jelly Sandwich in your backpack, and it's an hour till lunchtime. I'm not hungry but I love PB&J so much that I just constantly want to eat it. I'll finish one sandwich and still want another one. It's not logical or graceful. And ever since The Librarian turned me on to Better'N Peanut Butter, it's practically compulsive. I love that stuff. I eat it with a spoon, I smear it on apples, I put it in baked goods and oatmeal and... if they ever need a spokesperson, I'm there. But they don't, because their product is so awesome it sells itself.

Luckily, I can't eat in the Superlab. So as long as I stay here, my sandwich stays in my backpack.

I've been watching this show called The Voice on Hulu. This is the contestant I want to win.


It's basically American Idol, but if American Idol was doing it right. I.E., its main focus is musical talent and vocal ability. The contestants auditioned for the teams blind, so they were judged completely on how they sounded. There are sixteen year old kids versus women in their 40s and 50s, and neither of them have an advantage because they're being at least partly judged by people who know what the fuck music is supposed to sound like.

The one bad thing about it is that Christina Aguilera, who I love (as previously discussed in this post), comes off as extremely awkward and kind of... stupid... on camera. I'm positive she's not really like this, and it's just her feeling awkward about being on camera. I mean, she's not known for doing this type of thing. She's a goddamn musical prodigy. She sings.

And damn, does she on this show. She'll be coaching her contestants, and they won't get a rift right, and she'll say, "No, more like this." And without hesitating or even taking an extra breath as far as I can tell, incredible sound just erupts from her mouth.

And then her poor little contestants get this look in their eyes like, "Yeah, um... you're Christina Aguilera, and I need to go change my panties."

No comments:

Post a Comment