Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Dolly Llama shakes his Booty.

Today in American Sign Language, we were learning how to identify ourselves (and others) as different religions. One of the ones we learned was 'Buddhist.'

A girl behind me says, "What? Booties?"

I said, "No, Buddhist. As in Buddhism?"

And she says, "What? You made that word up."

I'm just too flabbergasted to speak. The Networker, next to me, tries to formulate response. "No, it's a religion... really more of a philosophy, and it's all about peace and meditation and... you know, the Dalai Lama's religion?"

The girl's face clearly says, 'Dolly Llama? Now I know you're making this shit up.'

And that was when I realized that, as horrific as it was that a girl made it at least two semesters into college without knowing that Buddhism was a Thing, the whole conversation was just about the funniest thing that had happened to me all morning, even though only two hours prior, I had seen a genuine pair of parachute pants marching their was across the quad.

It would have been the funniest thing to happen ever, but, well, "Who threw that ham at me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment