Friday, March 4, 2011

Percussion. Strings. Winds. Words.

It startles me how many people on YouTube think "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer is actually done by The Cranberries. Now, I love Sixpence None The Richer. No one (at least, no one here) is questioning the merit of the group or the talent of lead singer Leigh Nash. But think about this for a minute.

Let's pretend I am Leigh Nash. Hold on, I have to go apply some black eyeliner for verisimilitude. All right. Now. You are Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of The Cranberries. Do you feel powerful? You should. Now let's pretend I have been seated next to you on an airplane. Should I hit on you?

No. Because you are way out of my league. Your league is so far away from mine that, if my league exploded, you wouldn't hear the sound for three days.

It's not me. It's the unfair nature of the comparison. It's like putting Adele next to Leona Lewis. Same time period, same 'school' of music. Entirely different realms of talent. How you could possibly mistake the one for the other is just beyond me.

This is my favorite Leigh Nash song, now that I get it.



No comments:

Post a Comment